Monday, July 25, 2011

Icky Stuff, Round 2

Sorry, no pictures for this one--I'm just too tired. I will take some new ones of Mick and post them later, so you can see how good he looks (well...except for one spot).

I had planned to make an appointment today to have Mick's vet check out the spot where his abscess had been. It was mainly healed up, but there was a lump remaining; possibly some scar tissue, but still something I didn't like on him. I figured it was better to be safe than sorry, and even if it was just scar tissue, they might be able to smooth the spot out without much trouble.

It's a good thing I had already planned on doing it, though. Last night, Mick came up to me for petting while I was on the computer. I reached down...and felt something gooey on his cheek.

Uh...oh.

I scooped him up and brought him out to the kitchen to check him out. Sure enough, his cheek was coated with ick--his abscess had returned, and this time it had ruptured.

His Majesty did not take too kindly to being poked and prodded again; I had to wrap him up burrito-style in order to clean out the area as best as possible and clean his fur. I cleaned out all the places where he might decide to lay down and flop  (to prevent further infection), then put him back in his cage.

First thing this morning, I called his vet's office and they had me bring him in. Dr. Shanahan looked the area over and felt the lump, which is much smaller now, but still big enough to concern both of us. She said that there was a part of the lump that appeared to be sreading downwards like a root and had me feel the area to show me what she meant. She recommended putting him on Baytril again for two weeks to see if that would shrink the lump; if not, then surgery would most likely be necessary to see what is going on in there and to hopefully smooth out the area. I agreed to that plan of action, and so we came home with Baytril, more Critical Care and an appointment in two weeks' time (sooner if things get worse instead of better)

Other than this, Mickey looks great. He's gained three ounces of weight back, but he looks heavier. His fur is looking good and his eyes are big and bright. His bunnitude is as fiesty as ever for sure. The only mar to all this perfection is the wound on his cheek (which was reshaved to keep it clean and make it easier to see), but even that isn't that easy to spot because of all the surrounding fur. He was not at all happy to be taken to the vet's first thing in the morning, and even less happy when I left him in his carrier while I gave his cage a thorough cleaning before putting him back inside, but a dose of Baytril, a dried apple slice and a fresh bowl of pellets and oats have placated him somewhat.

As for me, I am in dire need of some coffee so I can be functional enough to get some errands done this afternoon before I crash and nap on my couch. I will update more later.

10 comments:

PJ said...

I don't have any experience with sick buns, just cats. Abscesses are tricky, but I have to wonder if it rupturing isn't a good thing? I only say that for future reference.

The Fab Furs said...

So sorry to hear about the recurrence. Mick is lucky to have a person in his life who keeps such close tabs on his well-being. Hope things go well.

Lisa Alto said...

These bunnies sure do test us. Fingers crossed surgery isn't needed tho. Happy napping!

Lavender Rabbit said...

So sorry to read handsmoe Mickey is having trouble again. I'm glad he's in good spirits, he is definitely in good hands with his awesome Mom. Get well soon Mr. Mick!

craftygreenpoet said...

Poor Mickey! Glad his spirits are keeping up though!

Annette Tait said...

goodness - so much going on with Mr Mick. sending our love and hugs to him :)
(we do use Kyolic aged garlic drops every day over here, seems to be rather good for a multitude of sins)
what a beautiful pendant you won! congrats! and I love that your friends went home with 'fur sweaters'

hugs and kisses for Mickey xoxo

SixBunnies said...

Oh, Mick! I'm sending prayers for a speedy recovery! Can't wait to see the posting that you are all healed up and ready to boss that hoomin family of yours around again! For now, just snuggle into your mamma and let her take care of you! She's a good mamma!

RG said...

Hang in there everybody - lots of crossed toes and such here at the House of Rabbits ...

Lisa said...

Mickey, how many times have we asked you to STOP ALL THIS SCARY STUFF!!!

Smaller certainly sounds better. Thank goodness you were home to get him cleaned up before he got it dirty or anything. Please do keep us posted.

WE're all routing for you Mickey! (PS. Jade, I quit! So I am eligible now. Jon still on the bench).

FairyCastleFarm said...

Oh no! Poor Mick! I am sending best healing bunny vibes your way. Please take care and make sure you rest up too. I know what it is like to feel drained and still want to give your all to a sick patient. It is great he has is bunnitude in check! I think this always helps with recovery. Also don't know if it helps or not, but I give my buns some dried camomile flowers when they feel ill as it helps settle them nerves and calm them down. My vet did not have any objections to it, like everything in moderation. (but maybe pass it by your vet first). take care, thinking of you both.